[ros-users] Add MESH into planning scene collision object FAILED

Paul Heran Yang heranyang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:19:18 UTC 2012

Hey Gil,

Thanks so much. I tried what you suggested and here's the code I have:

arm_navigation_msgs::Shape trimesh_object;
trimesh_object.type = arm_navigation_msgs::Shape::MESH;
btVector3 scale(1.0,1.0,1.0);
shapes::Mesh *mesh =
shapes::createMeshFromFilename("package://.../ship.stl", &scale);
if(!planning_environment::constructObjectMsg(mesh, trimesh_object)) {
  ROS_WARN_STREAM("Object construction fails");
}
geometry_msgs::Pose pose;
collision_object.shapes.push_back(trimesh_object);
collision_object.poses.push_back(pose);

Now the meshes are computed into convex hulls without errors, but the
problem is: at rviz, Planning Scene /planning_scene_markers topic's pole/0
displays error:

"Contains invalid floating point values (nans or infs)"

So maybe the convex hulls or something else are still not computed
correctly. I tried different mesh files and got the same error. Maybe it's
the Post object's problem? Otherwise it's really hard to figure out why
this is happening. I also added this question into
here<http://answers.ros.org/question/30401/rviz-mesh-nans-infs-planning-scene>
but
sadly no one has a clue yet.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Arkapravo Bhaumik <
arkapravobhaumik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider putting this question to answer.ros <http://answers.ros.org>,
> chances are that you may get better replies.
>

> On 11 March 2012 03:11, Paul Heran Yang <heranyang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been trying to add meshes into collision object, but always get
>> error: "Unable to compute convex hull"
>>
>>     trimesh_object.type = arm_navigation_msgs::Shape::MESH;
>>     for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) {
>>         geometry_msgs::Point p;
>>         p.x = i;
>>         p.y = i+1;
>>         p.z = i+2;
>>         trimesh_object.vertices.push_back(p);
>>     }
>>
>>     // then add {0, 1, 2} into trimesh_object.triangles
>>     collision_object.shapes.push_back(trimesh_object);
>>
>>     geometry_msgs::Pose pose;
>>     collision_object.poses.push_back(pose);

>> planning_scene_req.planning_scene_diff.collision_objects.push_back(collision_object);
>>     get_planning_scene_client.call(planning_scene_req,
>> planning_scene_res) ...
>>
>> I've followed the instructions on
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/arm_navigation/Tutorials/Planning%20Scene/Adding%20Virtual%20Objects%20to%20the%20Planning%20Scene
>>
>> All I'm trying to do is just to add a simple triangle into the scene, but
>> so far no luck. The above code just adds {0,1,2},{1,2,3},{2,3,4} into it. I
>> also tried {0,0,1},{0,1,0},{1,0,0}. Nothing works.
>>
>> I don't get why there's "unable to compute convex hull" error. Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> -Paul

Paul (Heran) Yang
http://heranyang.com