[ros-users] About MoveIt! and the future development of arm_navigation

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
Wed May 30 07:10:46 UTC 2012

Dear manipulators,

My colleague, who attended ROSCON, brought me news about a fancy new tool
for manipulation called "MoveIt!". Unfortunately, I couldn't find much
additional information besides this brief article [1]. It announces that
there will be some major restructuring done for the arm_navigation stack,
such as moving core functionality to MoveIt!.

Since I am going to work a lot with the arm_navigation stack soon, I would
be happy, if the authors of MoveIt! and the arm_navigation stack would
share some insights on their plans. I want to avoid doing work on soon to
be changed software such as making bug fixes and developing
additional functionalities. For example, I need to make the arm_navigation
stack working with a 5 or even 3 DOF arm.

Furthermore, I noticed that there is no SIG about anything related to
motion planning, arm navigation, manipulation etc. I know it is a bit late,
but it might would be good to create a SIG for people interested in
manipulation and the (further) development of the arm_navigation stack and
MoveIt!. What do you think?

Regards,
Marcus

[1]: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=06174325