[ros-users] About MoveIt! and the future development of arm_navigation

Sachin Chitta sachinc at willowgarage.com
Thu May 31 00:15:23 UTC 2012

Hi Marcus,

MoveIt! is an evolution of the arm_navigation stacks and adds several
new features and capabilities. It is designed to be faster and much
more extensible - in particular it encourages code reuse of basic
components, e.g. kinematics and collision checking, while also giving
users greater freedom in adapting it to their own use-cases.  MoveIt!
was announced at ROSCON but we have not advertised its use widely yet
since its still under development and we would like to have proper
documentation and tutorials in place.

In the interim, I would encourage you to use the arm_navigation tools
in ROS Fuerte for your needs. They should work for joint level
planning, even for lower DOF arms. We will maintain and bug fix them
for a couple of releases before they are fully deprecated. We expect
to have MoveIt! out in time for ROS Groovy. If you are using
arm_navigation, the API will change but we hope to minimize the impact
of these changes through proper transition tools and documentation.

We will send out an email on ros-users once MoveIt! is ready for
testing and documentation and tutorials are in place. If you would
like to help in the development of MoveIt!, we gladly welcome your
help with the note that MoveIt! is still a work in progress.

Also, there is now a SIG page for "mobile manipulation". I will send
out details soon on a first SIG meeting (which will be virtual) and
post more details on the SIG page about plans for MoveIt! The SIG
meeting will be used to coordinate efforts towards the MoveIt! release
into Groovy.

Best Regards,
Your Friendly Neighborhood "I like to MoveIt! MoveIt!" Team

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Marcus Liebhardt
<marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com> wrote:
> Dear manipulators,
>
> My colleague, who attended ROSCON, brought me news about a fancy new tool
> for manipulation called "MoveIt!". Unfortunately, I couldn't find much
> additional information besides this brief article [1]. It announces that
> there will be some major restructuring done for the arm_navigation stack,
> such as moving core functionality to MoveIt!.
>
> Since I am going to work a lot with the arm_navigation stack soon, I would
> be happy, if the authors of MoveIt! and the arm_navigation stack would share
> some insights on their plans. I want to avoid doing work on soon to be
> changed software such as making bug fixes and developing
> additional functionalities. For example, I need to make the arm_navigation
> stack working with a 5 or even 3 DOF arm.
>
> Furthermore, I noticed that there is no SIG about anything related to motion
> planning, arm navigation, manipulation etc. I know it is a bit late, but it
> might would be good to create a SIG for people interested in manipulation
> and the (further) development of the arm_navigation stack and MoveIt!. What
> do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Marcus
>

> [1]: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=06174325
>
> --
> Dipl.-Ing. (M.Sc.) Marcus Liebhardt
> Control Engineer
> Yujin Robot
> 주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
> Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu, Seoul,
> 153-023, Republic of Korea
> Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
> Email: marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
> Phone: +82-2-2104-0435