[ros-users] New Documentation Generation and Indexing for ros.org

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Nov 6 15:40:51 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-06 16:23, Eitan Marder-Eppstein wrote:
> If there's a ton of demand to have headers generated for electric,
> there might be a way for me to create a hybrid system of the old and
> new indexers, but it's an item that hasn't been high on my priority list.

According to David Lu's recent poll, a third of the participating ROS
users are still on electric, so I would think that this information is
certainly needed by quite a few users! This is even more important for
the non-released stacks I'd say, since the indexer gives the repo
information to check out. Released stacks are easier to find and install
in the package manager.

> Once this issue is fixed, however, the idea is that stack maintainers
> can see why their builds are failing or unstable and make fixes to
> their repositories as needed.
That information will be surely useful, although I would suggest to not
display it that prominently as first information on the wiki page and
highlighted in bold. I would show it (along with the last indexed date)
smaller and faded like the "last changed" information at the bottom.
Maybe even hide it by default and make it expandable, or put it to the
bottom of the page?

Cheers,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg