[ros-users] sensor_msgs Low Cost/Android review

Edwards, Shaun M. sedwards at swri.org
Tue Nov 13 15:09:04 UTC 2012

All,

I'm going to throw this out there for discussion since I have struggled with it myself.  Do we really need message types for simple analog values, such as humidity or pressure.  Is it enough to just have an analog message (I believe there is one already) with an appropriate topic name.  The main reason for my dilemma is that you can write some pretty generic nodes, say filtering for example, that can work on any analog value.  If we create special messages for each type of analog value, then a generic node becomes more difficult.  Thoughts?

Shaun Edwards
Senior Research Engineer
Manufacturing System Department

http://robotics.swri.org