[ros-users] Should I write plugins for rqt or rviz?

Michael James Gratton mikeg at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Nov 24 02:39:34 UTC 2012

--
Sent from my outboard brain.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Austin Hendrix" <legotown at aol.com>
To: "User discussions" <ros-users at code.ros.org>, "Christopher Berner" <christopherberner at gmail.com>
Subject: [ros-users] Should I write plugins for rqt or rviz?
Date: Sat, Nov 24, 2012 12:34

How you visualize your data is heavily dependent on what you want to visualize and how you want to display it.

If you have data that's spatial or 3D, such as laser scan data or a 3D direction vector, visualizing that data in rviz is probably better. If your data is better represented as one or two variables vs time, rat may be a better visualization tool.

I would look carefully at the available tools before deciding that you need to write a plugin. Rviz can already visualize direction vectors, 3D transforms, and a number of different types of sensor data. RQT already has plugins for graphing data against time, replacing the older rxplot tool.

-Austin