[ros-users] ccny-ros-pkg release: phidgets_drivers

Doug Sievers dwsievers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 21:27:15 UTC 2012

To all Phidget users,

I guess what I'm ultimately getting at, is that it appears there are
several people using phidgets now. When I do a wiki search, I see there are
several packages (this includes the CCNY and other two I listed before).

http://www.ros.org/wiki/phidgets_drivers
http://www.ros.org/wiki/phidgets_ros
http://www.ros.org/wiki/phidgets_py_api
http://www.ros.org/wiki/phidgets
http://www.ros.org/wiki/PhidgetMotor
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ce_phidgets
https://launchpad.net/phidgets-ros-pkg
http://ros.org/wiki/phidget_ik

So I see C, C++, and Python wrappers dispersed throughout several packages,
each which support different devices. I think it would be great for us to
avoid duplicating efforts and make one monolithich phidgets stack, that is
supported by the ROS/Phidgets community.

Myself, having used only one package (https://launchpad.net/phidgets-ros-pkg)
working with a friend's hardware, was pretty impressed at the phidgets
hardware, but the code took a little work due to less than optimal
documentation. Once we figured out the inner workings, it worked
beautifully -- an encoder board and motor control board with PID was
already written and just needed some minor tweaks. I'm hoping to push those
edits and knowledge back upstream.

I'm rather new to ROS, but wondering if others feel the same way. Is it
time for a Phidgets SIG?

Regards,
Doug