[ros-users] Request for comment REP 127

Jochen Sprickerhof ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Thu Sep 13 20:06:56 UTC 2012

* Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com> [2012-09-13 03:53]:
> Hi All,

Hi Tully,

> One of the most strongly supported features discussed in the ROS
> Buildsystem SIG was to release ROS packages as debian packages.  Required
> to do this is to have packaging and build dependencies in each package.
>  Based on our discussions on the SIG Dirk has put together REP 127 with a
> proposal to replace stack.xml and manifest.xml with package.xml
> http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0127.html

This looks almost like the information found in a Debian
(source-)package but with some information missing. I would propose to
either go directly with their file formats or at least add all the
missing information (like versioned dependencies, recommends...), so we
can generate more standard compliant packages. You can find more
information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_build_toolchain
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/