[ros-users] Gem installer support

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Mon Sep 24 18:28:03 UTC 2012

Hi Tully,

We tested the new gem support in the prerelease build farm, but the
gem installer mod fails during the 'rosdep install -y
orocos_toolchain' step because 'rubygems' is not yet installed in that
stage. We do depend on it in the manifest.xml, but the
installer.get_installed_packages() step is done before the debs are
installed. Hence failure.

The easiest resolution would be to extend the build farm such that
'rubygems' is added to this list :

Executing ['sudo', 'chroot',
'/home/rosbuild/chroot/prerelease_fuerte_orocos_toolchain_lucid_i386',
'apt-get', 'install', '-y', '--force-yes', 'build-essential',
'python-yaml', 'python-svn', 'cmake', 'subversion', 'mercurial',
'bzr', 'git-core', 'wget', 'python-setuptools', 'python-pip']

The alternative is to modify rosdep in order to first install packages
using the default platform installer and then later the gems... but
that seems fragile.

We can contribute another patch such that rosdep fails more gracefully
with a meaningful error message if rubygems is not installed (error
today is 'no such file or directory')

Thoughts ?

Cheers,
Peter