[ros-users] Gem installer support

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Sep 24 23:39:05 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

A patch for more graceful failure for missing rubygems would be great.

Are you trying to release debian packages depending on gem based packages?
 With our current infrastructure this is not possible.  And I'm not sure
conceptually if it's possible to be extended to be made to work.

We've set our standard policy that if there's something that we need a
debian package to depend upon we must release a debian package of that
package available.  So we've packaged things like rosdep and rospkg, which
are pure python packages and installable via pip, as debian packages so
that on ubuntu people can rely on the apt/dpkg system to make sure their
machine has all the required dependencies.   But we recommend pip as the
install rule for other platforms where people are building from source.

Tully

Tully Foote
tfoote at willowgarage.com
(650) 475-2827