[ros-users] Gem installer support

Ruben Smits ruben.smits at intermodalics.eu
Wed Sep 26 12:51:48 UTC 2012

Hi Tully,

a quick update:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Ruben Smits
<ruben.smits at intermodalics.eu> wrote:
> Hi Tully,
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 1:39 AM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> A patch for more graceful failure for missing rubygems would be great.
>>
>> Are you trying to release debian packages depending on gem based packages?
>> With our current infrastructure this is not possible.  And I'm not sure
>> conceptually if it's possible to be extended to be made to work.
>>
>> We've set our standard policy that if there's something that we need a
>> debian package to depend upon we must release a debian package of that
>> package available.  So we've packaged things like rosdep and rospkg, which
>> are pure python packages and installable via pip, as debian packages so that
>> on ubuntu people can rely on the apt/dpkg system to make sure their machine
>> has all the required dependencies.   But we recommend pip as the install
>> rule for other platforms where people are building from source.
>
> I see the problem here, I actually found debian packages for all our
> gems but one: facets,
>
> apparently Ubuntu, for some reason I have not found a reference for,
> deleted this package from precise see
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=facets
> and revived it in quantal. I could find the sources for Precise of
> this package before it got deleted:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/libfacets-ruby/2.7.0-3.
> Attached you can find the result of a rebuild of this package.To
> enable the orocos toolchain debians for Precise we need to get this
> package hosted somewhere that is acceptable for you. Could ROS host
> this for us or do we need to find another solution?

I filed a bug on launchpad about this package being missing:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/precise-backports/+bug/1056203. It will
probably be picked up in the precise-backports soon, is it ok for ros
debians to depend on this extra repository? Can the debuild system
handle this? ATM this package is only available in my private ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~smits-ruben/+archive/ppa.

What is the position of ROS wrt this situation?

Ruben

> Ruben
>
>> Tully
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Peter Soetens <peter at thesourceworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tully,
>>>
>>> We tested the new gem support in the prerelease build farm, but the
>>> gem installer mod fails during the 'rosdep install -y
>>> orocos_toolchain' step because 'rubygems' is not yet installed in that
>>> stage. We do depend on it in the manifest.xml, but the
>>> installer.get_installed_packages() step is done before the debs are

--
Ruben Smits, Phd
Chief Technology Officer