[ros-users] PCL filtering causes SIGILL on Q6600

Jochen Sprickerhof ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Thu Apr 11 08:55:29 UTC 2013

Hi Srećko,

* Srećko Jurić-Kavelj <srecko.juric-kavelj at fer.hr> [2013-04-11 10:21]:
> However, I can't really pinpoint what's the problem with the package
> provided on packages.ros.org. Provided that this is the build log
> (http://jenkins.willowgarage.com:8080/view/GbinP64/job/ros-groovy-pcl_binarydeb_precise_amd64/lastBuild/consoleFull),
> I don't see any suspicious flags for the compiler, except
> -march=native (from the cmake configuration: -- Using CPU native flags
> for SSE optimization:  -march=native). Does this use SSE 4.1 if
> available on build machine? How many users are affected by this?

This is a long standing bug in PCL. We agreed at pointclouds.org long
ago, to use optimized flags as default, but adhere CFLAGS, if they are
set. At some point this option was removed and I had no time till now to
patch it in again (patches welcome). The version in the PPA is compiled
in debug mode to prevent this, so this would be an easy way for the ROS
maintainers as well, but ideally we should adhere dpkg-buildflags.

Cheers Jochen