[ros-users] New Parameter Server

Ken Conley kwc at kwc.org
Wed Apr 17 01:59:44 UTC 2013

Back in the day, I did some experiments on replacing the Parameter Server
with Redis.  If the Redis-based system was detected, the clients could
switch to the Redis protocol, which has much less overhead.

I'm more dubious in switching the Parameter Server to a full-blown
database, or, at least, I think you will have something very different by
the end of it.  To me, the Parameter Server is just a config server, and
making it better means putting more config there, and making things like
Dynamic Reconfigure work better.  One thing that would make it a better
config server is to make it possible to shuttle ROS messages back and forth
between it, while trying to find the happy balance between namespaces and
hierarchical config messages.  ROS is currently sparse on config-oriented
messages, and they are one mechanism that could lead to less
parameter-related errors, such as misspellings.

If clients need an actual database, they should use a database.  There's
many different requirements in choosing a database and it seems a non-goal
to have the Parameter Server serve all those possible needs.

HTH,
Ken