[ros-users] Improving the visibility of answers.ros.org [Was: Issues with wstool Error processing 'rospack']

Jon Stephan jfstepha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 18:01:08 UTC 2013

How about this?  The old wording was:

Please subscribe to the ros-users mailing
list<https://code.ros.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-users> to
stay on top of the latest ROS news, and feel free to have a look at
the ros-users
archive <http://code.ros.org/lurker/list/ros-users.html>.

However, please keep in mind that the mailing list should not be used as
the first step in requesting for help, but rather ROS
Answers<http://answers.ros.org/>,
as described below (and in this related
question<http://answers.ros.org/question/10/when-should-one-use-answersrosorg-vs-the-ros-users>
).

My proposed wording is:

ROS Answers <http://answers.ros.org/> should be used as the first step in
requesting help, as described below (and in this related
question<http://answers.ros.org/question/10/when-should-one-use-answersrosorg-vs-the-ros-users>
).

To stay on top of the latest ROS news, subscribe to the ros-users mailing
list <https://code.ros.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-users>, and feel free to
have a look at the ros-users
archive<http://code.ros.org/lurker/list/ros-users.html>
.

Here we present the right way to do things first, followed by the
information about the mailing list.

If you're just skimming the page as it is now, the first thing you see is
the mailing list, and you have to read the 2nd paragraph to find out that's
the wrong thing to do.

Also, in the FAQ, we could change:

My question isn't answered here; what do I do?

   -

   Try running roswtf <http://www.ros.org/wiki/roswtf> and see if it can
   diagnose your issue
   -

   Search the archives of the appropriate mailing
list<http://www.ros.org/wiki/Support> or
   post a question.

to:

My question isn't answered here; what do I do?

   -

   Try running roswtf <http://www.ros.org/wiki/roswtf> and see if it can
   diagnose your issue
   - Search answers.ros.org for the answer.
   - Search the archives of the appropriate mailing
list<http://www.ros.org/wiki/Support>
   .
   - Post a question to answers.ros.org

If no one objects in the next day or so, I'll go ahead and make these
changes.

-Jon