[ros-users] answers.ros.org is the hell

Damon Kohler damonkohler at google.com
Wed Feb 20 09:43:47 UTC 2013

IMHO the problem is that answers.ros.org has no where near the feature set
or polish of Stack Overflow (e.g. clever ways to help new users understand
the system). While I understand the desire to own the data, I think it's
not worth while when the data is so broken :(

Personally, I'd love to see answers.ros.org migrate to Stack Exchange.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Claudio Carbone <cla_carbone at tiscali.it>wrote:

>  Ever since I joined the ROS community I've felt Answers to be pretty
> unsuitable for the work.
> I guess it all comes down to expectations and overview (which WG has much
> wider than mine).
>
> I can't stop thinking that a forum would be a lot better though: you can
> have subforums tailored to the specific argument (eg: building which
> would cover build systems and package/stack structures; transformations
> which would cover urdf models, joints, publishers; Communications which
> would cover the ROS API, topics, services, etc...), tags  wouldn't go
> away as modern forums have them too, you can moderate a lot more
> effectively, people can cluster into the subforum they feel more at home
> with (maybe I'm an expert on building, or cameras), and searching would be
> a lot more useful as people would be naturally inclined to phrase their
> topic title according to the subforum argument.
>
> It probably would be some more work to maintain, but I can see a lot more
> use in such a platform.
>
> Noob question now: what does "make this page a wiki" really means?
> What happens to *wikied* questions?
>
> Best regards
> --
>
> *Eng. Claudio Carbone
> Embedded Systems Design***
> **
>
> P.IVA: 11688471009
> tel: +393809017424
> email: Send email
>  <cla_carbone at tiscali.it>[image: My linkedin profile]<http://it.linkedin.com/in/embeddedesign/en>
>
> My Portfolio****
> [image: My portfolio site] <http://www.fusioncoredesign.it/>****
>
> ** **

:wq

Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12
80331 München

AG Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Katherine Stephens

Tax ID:- 48/725/00206
VAT ID:- DE813741370