[ros-users] answers.ros.org is the hell

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Wed Feb 20 12:34:36 UTC 2013

I also prefer answers to forum for the purpose of community driven support.

However I am not too happy with the split-up of mailing lists. Searching
Google for "ros mailing list" I get this:

version of the next link)
https://code.ros.org/gf/project/ros/mailman/ (Some lists seem to be
dead, other still active, but no overview)

And then looking for SIGs as well, I get to:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Planning
with google groups for most sigs, some of which never had any activity.

The splitup makes it difficult to track activity and to search all
archives, it also discourages users from following activity at a glance.
A page listing those groups would help fetching the interest of people
to hot topics.

I don't know though whether any great solution exists that combines the
convenience of a mailing list with the cohesive properties of a forum.
Googl groups have categories, so e.g. all ROS SIGs could communicate
within the same google group but in different categories, not sure how
well that works via email. Else there are online offerings such as

https://onlinegroups.net/,
http://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization (open source)
https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed (opensource)
and probably more.

The last in the list looks like phpBB, but seems to be quite fast and
written in D (whatever that is):
see the dlang homepage for the forum: http://forum.dlang.org/

If there was forums.ros.org that looked like the dlang page interms of
getting an overview of current activity, I think that would be much
better than our current mailman/Google-groups combination.

cheers,
   Thibault