[ros-users] answers.ros.org is the hell

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Thu Feb 21 00:02:44 UTC 2013

The idea of replacing askbot (or something similar) with a forum is, in my
opinion, a bad idea. Forums are designed for holding conversations, not
asking a question, getting a response and moving on. The people who
designed Stack Exchange specifically designed it to _discourage_ discussion
(see
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2013/02/civilized-discourse-construction-kit.html
).

Claudio mentioned that forums can have sub-categories. This is obviously a
good thing if there are so many topics that it is hard to find what you
want. But the concept is not limited to forums. Stack Exchange has
categories, too. Perhaps a better solution than switching to a forum is
just adding categories to answers.ros.org? Or enforced tags chosen from a
pre-selected list (voluntary tags are too varied to work that well).

If the answers.ros.org search is broken, then Google can help out. Prepend
your search with "site:answers.ros.org " and it will only search that site.
For example:

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=site%3Aanswers.ros.org%20pcl

I agree with Thibault that the mish-mash of mailing lists is not working
too well. It is difficult to find them all, and it is difficult to quickly
glance at one and see if it is doing anything that interests you today. I
suspect that there is a lot of expertise that would be useful in each
mailing list, but that isn't there because those people are on different
mailing lists (in different SIGs).

It is possible to link a mailing list and a forum together. Both Orocos and
OpenRTM do this on their sites, and it seems to work quite well.

If ROS does decide to set up a forum, please, please do not use phpBB. It
is the least secure and most hacked forum on the planet.

D, by the way, is meant as a modern replacement for C++. It has some very
nice features, but in my opinion suffers from a somewhat broken development
model and a lack of focus on the features that are important for the
average user, like shared library support (mainly because the creator
develops it for money for clients using Windows, and the free version is
just a nice side-effect of that).