[ros-users] Current best practice for multiple interfaces

Ingo Kresse kresse at in.tum.de
Thu Jan 17 06:37:48 UTC 2013

+1 for any work in this direction!

The idea of doing the ip address resolution on a DNS server sounds
elegant! It decouples the network issues and ros a bit.

However, in such environments there is another nuisance that regularly
occurs: Some student's computer name may not be in the local DNS server
(or worse, not in all the /etc/hosts files). We've spent hours of
debugging just to find out that we had to set ROS_IP in those cases. At
least in the past, roswtf didn't point that out. After a year or so we
switched to dnsmasq - which publishes those hostnames on its dns server.
But not everybody has that running. It is an implicit assumption that
ros makes about the network infrastructure.

My suggestion is, that roscore uses the hostname of the node and stores
it's ip address, maybe in a map (hostname -> ip). Only if a lookup fails
then it uses the stored ip address. In combination with the dynamic DNS
solution / multiple A record solution, this should work anywhere and
should remove the need for using ROS_IP in most cases. I'm aware of the
fact that this is a complication of roscore, but I think it's well worth it!

Cheers,
Ingo