[ros-users] Use cases for ROS on ARM based computers

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com
Wed Jan 23 23:59:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:14 AM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for the interest.  Based on the interest we have setup a SIG for
> this.  I encourage you to join if you have time to participate.

I wonder, if it is necessary to create an extra SIG for this. Although the
group of people interested in ROS on ARM has grown to a significant size,
there are still not so many people out there.
In order to avoid people getting scattered all over the place (and might
even lost), I suggest we use the existing Embedded SIG (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Embedded) for this.
It gathers people interesting in and working on different embedded levels,
such as ROS on ARMs running Linux distributions and ROS on/with
"bare-metal" embedded boards.
If this list/group gets to busy in the future, we still could split it up
in different groups later.

Cheers,
Marcus

> WIki Page: http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/arm
>
> Tully
>

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Tommy Persson <tommy.persson at liu.se>wrote:
>
>> On 01/13/2013 07:41 PM, Ian wrote:
>>
>>> I have experience using gumstix to run fuerte under debian 6.05 at
>>> Upenn's Modlab [1].  We compiled ROS-base from source in place without
>>> any real issues, and for our purposes (using ROS for networking and data
>>> serialization on the gumstix, and doing the heavy lifting on more
>>> powerful computers) it worked well.
>>>
>>> We opted to do all compilation locally on the gumstix, which was our one
>>> source of frustration; the shortest compilation times were measured in
>>> minutes.  A cross-compiling environment would have been worth the time
>>> to setup.
>>>

>> We have done something similar on the gumstix but using Ubuntu on the
>> gumstix. I am planning soon to test this with groovy.
>>
>> The biggest problem for me was that data communication between ARM and
>> X86 did not work properly if the message contains an uint8. The padding is
>> different. This was if I remember correctly with fuerte. Have not tested
>> yet if groovy have the same bug.
>>
>> I am very interested reading more about peoples work with ARM.
>>
>> /Tommy Persson
>> Linköping University
>> Sweden

> Tully Foote
> tfoote at willowgarage.com
> (650) 475-2827

Marcus Liebhardt
Control Engineer
Yujin Robot
주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu, Seoul,
153-023, Republic of Korea
Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
Email: marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com
Phone: +82-70-46577073