[ros-users] Use cases for ROS on ARM based computers

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com
Fri Jan 25 01:17:33 UTC 2013

I understand your points and in a crowded environment I would strongly
support it. However, many SIGs are/seem to be very quiet. That's why I am
worried about new SIGs dying even after a powerful start as it happened to
many SIGs before (just have a look at the Fuerte&Groovy SIGs).

I think, the chances for a SIG to stay active are higher the more people
are interacting in it. And even though the focus of ROS on ARM might be
different than what has been discussed on the embedded list so far, both
groups could still benefit from synergy effects, such as overlapping
topics, help from experts etc. And last but not least, it would be easier
for ARM/embedded newcomers to find a starting point (e.g. I'm using an ARM
board, but which group is the right one for me (ARM Cortex A8/9 vs M3/4)?).

Regards,
Marcus

PS: In case you still want to separate, please clearly point out, who is
your target audience for the list. Thanks.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:28 AM, YAMOKOSKI, JOHN D. (JSC-ER)[OCEANEERING
SPACE SYSTEMS] <john.d.yamokoski at nasa.gov> wrote:

>  +1
>
> Having a focused SIG would promote better attention to details/issues in
> the ARM community than being 'embedded' within a larger, more diffuse group.
>
> While ARM platforms are often associated with embedded systems, that's not
> always the case. For instance I wouldn't classify NVidia's CARMA board as
> 'embedded'  ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/carma-devkit.html). Damn thing
> has more horsepower than my desktop.
>
> I don't what this to digress into a 'definition of embedded' thread. But
> as suggested, keeping ARM separate is no different than other operating
> system specific SIGs.
>

> On 01/24/2013 06:01 AM, Kevin Walchko wrote:
>
> I think embedded is potentially too broad, and looking at the mail group
> quickly there appears to be a lot of different topics discussed (bandwidth,
> C++ vs C, RTOS for ROS, etc).
>
> There seems to be a lot of interest in specifically ARM and supporting ROS
> specifically on ARM. I think if a SIG is going to produce something, it
> helps to be focused. There appears to be a lot of work to just setup the
> infrastructure, test, and distribute ROS packages for ARM. In order to
> achieve this, I think it should be its own SIG. I see no difference between
> this and the OSX SIG I support … which is a lot of work.
>

> On Jan 23, 2013, at 11:50 PM, Brian Gerkey <gerkey at osrfoundation.org><gerkey at osrfoundation.org>wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Marcus Liebhardt
> > <marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com><marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com>wrote:

> >> I wonder, if it is necessary to create an extra SIG for this. Although
> the
> >> group of people interested in ROS on ARM has grown to a significant
> size,
> >> there are still not so many people out there.
> >> In order to avoid people getting scattered all over the place (and might
> >> even lost), I suggest we use the existing Embedded SIG
> >> (http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Embedded) for this.
> >> It gathers people interesting in and working on different embedded
> levels,
> >> such as ROS on ARMs running Linux distributions and ROS on/with
> "bare-metal"
> >> embedded boards.
> >> If this list/group gets to busy in the future, we still could split it
> up in
> >> different groups later.
> >
> > As a lurker on the ros-sig-embedded list, I agree with Markus.  Unless
> > we really have two distinct communities, "embedded" and "arm," it
> > would seem that one group is enough.
> >
> >    brian.

Marcus Liebhardt
Control Engineer
Yujin Robot
주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu, Seoul,
153-023, Republic of Korea
Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
Email: marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com
Phone: +82-70-46577073