[ros-users] ROS platform group meeting notes

Michael Gratton mikeg at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 30 05:42:21 UTC 2013

On 30/01/13 14:34, Tully Foote wrote:

> We're working toward making ROS development more transparent.

This is great news!

> We're also looking to make more changes to open up the format to enable
> more community participation.  If you have suggestions on ways you would
> like to see this happen please email me.

I can only encourage you to follow along the lines of other free
software/open source projects and do _everything_ online. While the
intent is very muuch appreciated, just copying meeting notes to a wiki
doesn't cut it at all.

Rather, the platform group and other meetings need to be held on IRC,
for example, not in a meeting room. Discussions need to occur on (open,
archived with a stable URL and search-able) mailing lists rather than in
person. ros.org needs to become the primary place one can go to for
finding code, plans and documentation. Etc., etc.

If you want community participation, you need openness and transparency.
This has to be the case even if most, or all of the people involved are
WG employees, otherwise the community won't bother to participate,
because it can't.

//Mike

--
Michael Gratton <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~mikeg/>
UNSW School of Computer Science and Engineering.