[ros-users] [Orocos-users] Joint controller manager

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Jan 30 21:21:13 UTC 2013

Hi Herman,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Herman Bruyninckx <
Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>  On another note, since a few people have shown an interest to participate
>> in this
>> effort, how about keeping design discussions here, but using the
>> ROS/Orocos Robot
>> Control Special Interest Group [2]
>>

> A forum is an order of magnitude less reactive than a forum...
>

>  created by Jonathan to discuss the
>> who-does-what-and-when, and not spam this list as much?. So sign up if
>> you want to
>> participate!.
>>

> I don't see why this very technically grounded and socially well conducted
> discussion can considered to be spam... The only suggestion I would make is
> to continue on the -dev mailinglists, exactly because of the technicalities
> and the focus on new developments.

Jon and Adolfo's suggestion is the ROS equivalent of a more classic -dev
list.  Because of the wide variety of topic of interest to the greater ROS
community, we setup these special interest groups to help maintain focus
and allow people to choose to join conversations they care about, and not
fill everyone's inbox with long detailed discussions of topics not of
interest to them. Our choice to structure things this way is based on
feedback from the past that when the mailing list becomes too high volume
people unsubscribe, even core active developers would auto archive the
mailing list if not unsubscribe.

It might be good to switch to the SIG from ros-users and if the orocos
community would prefer we could use the orocos-dev mailing list as well.
 Generally double posting conversations leads to accidentally only replying
to one of the forums leaving a bunch of people out of the loop until it's
noticed.  Also it makes searching for content much harder as there ends up
requiring two places to look through the history in case something is
relevant but not crossposted.

Tully

>  ...I'll now go back and do my part checking out the code Jonathan shared
>> yesterday.
>>
>> Adolfo,
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/pal-**robotics/orocos_controller_**manager<https://github.com/pal-robotics/orocos_controller_manager>
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/**forum/?fromgroups#!forum/ros-**