[ros-users] Building catkin from source

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Sat Mar 16 23:29:06 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 14:39 -0700, William Woodall wrote:
> > Catkin can be installed by simply following the CMake standard
> > build/install process:
> >

> > $ cd /path/to/catkin/src
> > $ mkdir build
> > $ cd build
> > $ cmake ..
> > $ make
> > $ (sudo) make install
> >

> Thanks William, that works. Is there a page on what the files do and
> whether I can move them around to follow fedora's guidelines? For
> example, the env setup files in /usr/ will need to be moved
> to /usr/share/catkin. I also see a .rosinstall and .catkin file in /usr
> which appear to be kind of a markers (from docs/dev_guide/layout.rst).
> Can I move these to other locations without breaking the ros package
> set?

These files are used to extend your environment when you install to a
prefix not on the system path (~/install, /opt/ros/groovy/, etc...).

I do not think you can move them, but you can disable them, we do this on
our buildfarm when building debians:

https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/bloom/blob/master/bloom/generators/debian/templates/rules.em#L28

By setting 'CATKIN_BUILD_BINARY_PACKAGE=1'  you indicate to catkin that it
should not generate any of the setup*, env*, or .rosinstall/.catkin files.