[ros-users] Submitting ROS software to Debian?

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Wed May 15 14:15:14 UTC 2013

A Dimecres, 15 de maig de 2013, Thomas Moulard va escriure:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Jochen Sprickerhof
> <ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de> wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > * Thomas Moulard <thomas.moulard at gmail.com> [2013-05-13 16:13]:
> >> In practice, I am trying to figure out currently whether the
> >> stand-alone projects
> >> (PCL, Ecto and Gazebo) could be included into Debian in an official way.
> >> A bit of polishing is still needed to achieve this (man page redaction,
> >> multiarch support, etc.) but I think this is definitively within reach.
> >
> > Looking good. I was still waiting for the integration of OpenNI into
> > Debian (my patches are on Github [1], if you want to look into that)
> > before pushing for PCL.
>
> Nice! Are you in touch with Hans-Christoph Steiner?
> He is still owning the ITP but apparently this is stuck.
> If you can take over this,  I can review the package and we can
> have a DD to upload it when it is ready.
>
> >> The main issue being that as long as ROS is not available officially,
> >> it will not be possible to compile the ROS bindings for these packages
> >> and include
> >> them in the official repositories.
> >
> > The PCL developers met last week and we discussed how to disentangle PCL
> > and ROS completely. Most probably we will move the ROS conversion
> > functions into an own package. This would allow us to convert PCL into a
> > system dependency for ROS. Stephen Miller is working on patches for
> > that.
>
> Awesome. :)
> If this is going to be done then nothing is preventing us from going
forward.

perfect!!!

> Leopold: Yes, of course! I guess the best place to make this packaging
> effort happen is on debian-science. So you may consider joining the team?

done!!! I put some information on debian blends, and I try to continue it.

> I still feel like it is better to package first Gazebo, PCL, etc, then focus
> on ROS. By the time the standalone projects are in Debian, maybe Hydro
> or Indigo will be out which will make the whole thing much easier.

to have PCL and all the kinect stuff if it's possible would be great. It seems
that Hydro will be relatively soon [1], so we can look it then.

[1] http://www.ros.org/wiki/hydro/Planning

Linux User 152692
Catalonia