[ros-users] Ros Roadmap Information

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Wed Nov 13 02:17:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Daniel Stonier <d.stonier at gmail.com>wrote:

>> Ok, perhaps some better wording is needed.
>>

>>> I don't understand what that sentence is supposed to mean:
>>>     "Hydro and Indigo will be staggered across Quantal, Raring and Saucy"
>>> Can you please clarify, Daniel?
>>>

>> "Hydro and Indigo will be staggered across Quantal, Raring and Saucy" -
>> just a reflection of the graph above illustrating hydro/quantal,
>> hydro/raring, indigo/saucy.
>>

>>> Regarding the "planning your development" section:
>>> if we do release Indigo as a kind of LTS version of ROS I would strongly
>>> disagree to first-time release any disruptive changes into that version and
>>> than aim for stabilizing them later...
>>>

>> Note: I didn't intend with the statement on the wiki page to infer a
>> first time release on Indigo/Trusty. First time release would be on
>> Indigo/Saucy as a beta release.
>>
>> I thought I had heard Tully talking similar to what I outlined there. It
>> certainly is the way we are planning to move over the next year or so. If
>> it's not a general consensus, then certainly lets remove it. To clarify, we
>> need to look at targeting some fairly major release points with disruptive
>> changes. These disruptive changes have to go in somewhere, so for us, the
>> best approach would seem to be:
>>
>>    - Develop on sources
>>    - Beta release debs on Indigo/Saucy - this is a short term release,
>>    so edge users only who are great for feedback.
>>    - Officially release debs on Indigo/LTS Trusty - we've acommodated
>>    many bugfixes hopefully and at this point we'd point our software on our
>>    more official platforms. This though, is where most new users would see the
>>    software.
>>
>> For clarification here, there will be only one Indigo release.  It will
have had more soak time in Saucy as Saucy will have been released and is
fully stabilized but there won't be a 2nd release of Indigo with Trusty.

>>    -
>>    - Avoid any further disruptive changes on J-Turtle/LTS Trusty - gives
>>    the software and users time to enjoy and stabilise.
>>
>> Catkin went through a fairly similar process - it was beta released in
>> fuerte (which would be like an early groovy with the longer timespans now),
>> officially released in groovy on precise, and then hydro saw it really
>> settle in. Having groovy/hydro on precise, gave a fairly constant
>> environment to see that through.
>>
>> Of course, this isn't a must do, but is this a recommendation that folks
>> agree with and think would be useful?
>>

> Yes.
>
>  Disruptive changes are always problematic. But, we need to spend more
> effort planning for smoother transitions.
>
> With releases coming farther apart, I expect them all to create noticeable
> disruption. To deal with that, I'd like the build farm to start generating
> Indigo packages soon. We can release the plethora of Python 3 fixes there,
> leaving Hydro stable. The long beta cycle will give actively supported
> packages an opportunity to deal with the changes.

We have started testing our toolchain on the first alpha releases of
trusty.  We hope to have them up shortly.

> +1 to updating REP-0003 for Indigo.

Pull request submitted.  Please comment here:
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/64

Tully