[ros-users] Example of Python catkin package with .msg, .srv and .action compilling and installing of python scripts

Dirk Thomas dthomas at osrfoundation.org
Mon Nov 18 20:19:16 UTC 2013

On 18.11.2013 09:43, Sam Pfeiffer wrote:

> I've been struggling on making a ROS catkin package as a example with python scripts in it that I would like to install somewhere (with catkin_make install). I've done many mistakes and I don't know
> why I need to do some stuff, but here you have a package that works as an example:
>
> https://github.com/awesomebytes/my_pkg
>
> I hope it is useful for someone else and I also would like to hear comments/add issues to it.

Your example has some weaknesses:

As the wiki page you referenced states (http://wiki.ros.org/ROS/Tutorials/CreatingMsgAndSrv) you should not depend on "genmsg".
Especially the run dependency on "genmsg" is not necessary as well as a run dependency on "message_runtime" is missing.
So the example you propose will not work correctly.

Generally it would be better to propose improvements to the wiki page then providing a one-time example.
Your example will likely not get updated in the future and users have no way to find it (except via the mailing list archive) nor can they contribute back to it.
Therefore improving the wiki content is the recommended way.

I have updated http://wiki.ros.org/rospy_tutorials/Tutorials/Makefile to be in sync with http://wiki.ros.org/ROS/Tutorials/CreatingMsgAndSrv to avoid some of the confusion you had.

- Dirk