[ros-users] Software Status Reporting and Custom Builds

Jose Luis Rivero jrivero at osrfoundation.org
Fri Sep 6 17:04:50 UTC 2013

On 09/06/2013 03:43 PM, Jonathan Bohren wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Edwards, Shaun M. <sedwards at swri.org
> <mailto:sedwards at swri.org>> wrote:
>
>     Looks like the discussion has died down.
>
>     Unfortunately, I didn't hear an overwhelming response that the
>     entire ROS community would find the status reporting useful.
>

> I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that we _know_ will be
> useful. It's just a matter of finding the resources to actually make it
> happen.

I agree with Jonathan here, let's don't give up too soon. We have lots
of software units in the ROS ecosystem and it was always difficult to
know the current status of the software and its 'quality'.

Lots of opportunities to improve the QA/Testing information about a
package could be used, from static techniques (static code analysis
tools, peer-review, code metrics, compiler warnings,...) to dynamic
analysis (all kinds of testing, coverage, ...) and other information
(the recent maintenance status, number of packages using it, ...).

IMHO: there are good starting points: nice tools (jenkins, travis,
coverall, ...) and a central building farm (jenkins.ros.org). Thinking
on having that information integrated into ros wiki sounds feasible to me.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero at osrfoundation.org>