[ros-users] Software Status Reporting and Custom Builds

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Fri Sep 6 18:39:10 UTC 2013

On 06.09.2013 19:04, Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
> IMHO: there are good starting points: nice tools (jenkins, travis,
> coverall, ...) and a central building farm (jenkins.ros.org). Thinking
> on having that information integrated into ros wiki sounds feasible to
> me.
I'd like to stress again that for any judgement on feasibility, it is
best to check what other projects achieved to do who have to manage a
lot of packages.
Boost: http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html
QT: http://qt-project.org/wiki/CI_Overview
KDE: http://build.kde.org/
Gnome: https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/view/Raring/view/JHBuild%20Gnome/

If those did not manage to set up better metrics / did not see the
value, we should probably follow their lead.

Obviously the current way to go in distributed OpenSource projects is to
use github or something similar, from which any maintainer can go on to
use other continuous integration sites. The ROS wiki already points to
github. So anyone who already found a wiki page of a package he cares
about is just one click away from github, where each maintainer can use
travis or any of the other services that currently pop up like mushrooms
to indicate build status, using tags in their README.md. There is IMO
very little reason why the ROS wiki should try to duplicate this good
effort that takes place around github.

And given William's latest bit of advice on how to use the Jenkins
server, test reports can also be found here:
http://jenkins.ros.org/search/?q=devel&max=120
As an example this one:
http://jenkins.ros.org/job/devel-hydro-actionlib/

So are we now only talking about conditionally adding a URL to a package
wiki page if the webpage
http://jenkins.ros.org/job/devel-<distroname>-<packagename> exists?

regards,
   Thibault