[ros-users] Software Status Reporting and Custom Builds

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Fri Sep 6 20:38:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Edwards, Shaun M. <sedwards at swri.org>wrote:

>  William,****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m not sure I quite understand what you are saying here, but it would be
> my preference to use the build farm over anything else.  Here are a couple
> of questions:****
>
> ** **
>
> **・         **Can the build farm build multiple repo branches for a
> single ROS release?  We typically have a stable release branch (groovy) and
> a similar branch with the latest and greatest (groovy_devel).  Is it
> possible to build both on the build farm?

Yes, they just need to be added to the index.
https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/source.yaml

You can see the jobs here: http://jenkins.ros.org/view/Hdev/

> ****
>
> **・         **Does the build farm monitor repos for changes or is it
> triggered in the release process and/or when dependencies change?  The
> ROS-I Jenkins server monitors the repo and triggers a build whenever
> anything has changed.

The source jobs monitor the source repo for changes.  RIght now it's
configured to run hourly.

> ****
>
> **・         **Can we add metrics or other analysis to the build farm,
> like Bosch did (see Tully’s email)?  Things like reporting warning, line
> counts, and code coverage could be done without much configuration of the
> build server (just minor modifications to the build scrips).  Jenkins would
> have to be reconfigured to display the associated plots/charts as well.

Yes.  The jenkins configuration for the jobs is all autogenerated. If you
submit a pull request to add these features to the templates it will
propogate to all jobs on the build farm.
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/jenkins_tools/tree/master/src/jenkins_tools/resources/templates

And the code which is run inside the jobs is in this repo:
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/jenkins_scripts

Johannes also added a new build type the metrics one, and if we can work
with people to do the same as well, though I think extending/improving the
current jobs will be more useful than generating a new set. Likely we
should also merge the metrics and standard unit tests too now that we've
shown that they work.

Tully