[ros-users] libfreenect0.0 conflict with libfreenect-dev

Sudarshan Srinivasan sudarshan85 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 19:25:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked earlier, but as far as I have searched I
cannot find a solution to my problem. I am running ROS Groovy on Ubuntu
12.04.

I would like to install ros-groovy-visp (please note there is also
ros-groovy-vision-visp but this does not install everything that I need,
e.g. it does not install visp_auto_tracker and manually trying to install
it didn't work). However, when I try to install ros-groovy-visp I get the
following error:

(sudarshan)$ sudo apt-get install ros-groovy-visp

> Reading package lists... Done
>
> Building dependency tree
>
> Reading state information... Done

> or been moved out of Incoming.

>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>
>  ros-hydro-visp : Depends: libfreenect0.0 but it is not going to be
>> installed

So, I try to install libfreenect0.0, which ends up removing libfreenect
libfreenect-demos and libfreenect-dev:

(sudarshan)$ sudo apt-get install libfreenect0.0

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following packages will be REMOVED:

  libfreenect libfreenect-demos libfreenect-dev

  libfreenect0.0

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/27.5 kB of archives.

After this operation, 209 kB disk space will be freed.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

(Reading database ... 426205 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing libfreenect-demos ...

Removing libfreenect-dev ...

Removing libfreenect ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Selecting previously unselected package libfreenect0.0.

(Reading database ... 426178 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking libfreenect0.0 (from
> .../libfreenect0.0_1%3a0.0.1+20101211+2-3_i386.deb) ...

Setting up libfreenect0.0 (1:0.0.1+20101211+2-3) ...

But on trying to install ros-grooy-visp now, it fails citing unmet
dependency since libfreenect-dev is not installed:

(sudarshan)$ sudo apt-get install libfreenect0.0

> Reading package lists... Done
>
> Building dependency tree
>
> Reading state information... Done

> or been moved out of Incoming.

>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>
>  ros-groovy-visp : Depends: libfreenect-dev but it is not going to be
>> installed

Obviously, installing libfreenect-dev removes libfreenect0.0. I have been
struggling to solve this conflict for a while, if anyone has any suggestion
to fix this, I would be very grateful. Please let me know if you need any
more information.

Thanks.