[ros-users] improving ROS on wikipedia

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Thu Apr 17 07:46:38 UTC 2014

The rules with respect to self-edits are given here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FAQ/Organizations
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:COI#Advice_for_editors_who_may_have_a_conflict_of_interest

So making the page less "dull" or "boring" would probably count as
self-promotion, regardless of whether an OSRF member does it or a core ROS
contributor.

To me it would make sense to rather reduce the information on wikipedia
and put all editorial effort into the ROS wiki. E.g. the YARP page seems
okay in that respect to me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YARP. Getting rid
of that surplus content would seem to me like an edit OSRF can do in good
faith.

The Robotics_middleware page seems to have been started by Dr. Herman
Bruyninckx I guess (user "Bruyninc"), but the list of middleware examples
was added by some other user in 2009. As a wikipedia user, IMO on that
page all the details about example projects should be mercilessly deleted
anyway, pointing to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_robotics
instead.

regards,
  Thibault