[ros-users] ROS API listing

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Sat Aug 2 00:03:11 UTC 2014

Hi Bill,

The yaml files on docs.ros.org is a legacy thing which is generated by
rosdoc for content on the wiki. They are slated for removal are not
complete and should not be used.

We have developed the rosdistro library which should give you a python API
to access everything you want from all released packages. [1] It's
available as python-rosdistro debian package.  It looks like the online
documentation for it is not generating correctly, now ticketed [2]  but you
should be able to introspect the python API to find what you need.  This is
the tool which we use for dependency operations on the buildfarm. And I
think the DependencyWalker modlule will do a lot of what you want.

Note, on the buildfarm we build the rosdistro cache every 5 minutes so that
your tool will not need to crawl all the repositories. It contains all the
package.xml content for every indexed package. So make sure to use the
cache loading functionality, otherwise you may find yourself waiting a long
time for network communications. Also python-catkin-pkg will also help you
with parsing the cached xml if you want more info than is parameterized in
the API.

Tully

[1] https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rosdistro
[2] https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rosdistro/issues/43

Here are a few example's of where we use it:

https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/buildfarm/blob/master/buildfarm/ros_distro.py
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rosinstall_generator/blob/master/src/rosinstall_generator/distro.py