[ros-users] rosc alpha released

Nikolai Ensslen nensslen at synapticon.com
Thu Feb 13 12:39:51 UTC 2014

Hi all,

in December we released "Subscribing Submarine" an alpha version of rosc,
that was announced at last year's ROSCon. For some reason we forgot to
mention this here and invite you to review and play around with it. -
Hereby I'm catching up on this, and of course also encourage you to join
the further development!

rosc is a dependency-free ROS client implementation in ANSI C which aims to
support small embedded systems as well as any operating system. Its
long-term goal is to become a hardened, efficient and highly portable
implementation of the ROS middleware (including future evolutions of it),
making it a good choice for use in industrial applications or product
development.

Essential features:

   - XMLRPC communication
      - HTTP/XML parser
      - XMLRPC message generator
   - Port interface handling (services, topics, XMLRPC)
   - ROS message (msg-File) header/source generation
   - TCPROS (un-)marshalling

Planned future extensions:

   - Transport layer independency
   - Realtime capability
   - Development debugging features
   - Compiler optimization packages
      - special size optimizations
      - using special pragmas (like pack)
   - Multimaster/masterless concept

You can try out the alpha under Linux now. The code is beyond experimental,
but not yet mature enough for critical setups.

In ROS Wiki, see http://wiki.ros.org/rosc

Find the code at https://github.com/synapticon/rosc/releases

Documentation http://synapticon.github.io/rosc/

Have fun,