[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Jonathan Bohren jonathan.bohren at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 15:19:40 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Christian Schlegel <schlegel at hs-ulm.de>wrote:

> really interesting to me that ease of use, user experience, make it simple
> for robotics people is seen (partly) in conflict with using more advanced
> middleware systems.

Yeah, I don't think they're in conflict, but it takes more than the sum of
the parts of work to make it so that it is both simple to use by default
and allows advanced control of QoS depending on network characteristics and
usage.

Just like I mentioned before, the defaults should be simple, but ROS should
allow for using more advanced transports. Right now there is a little
support for this as is shown with the normal image_transport and 3rd-party
transport plugins like http://wiki.ros.org/ethzasl_message_transport.

-j

--
Jonathan Bohren
Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics