[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Edwards, Shaun M. sedwards at swri.org
Fri Feb 14 13:27:21 UTC 2014

All,

I’m fully supportive of adopting a standard middleware, even at the expense of backwards compatibility (assuming ROS 1.0 will continue to exist, but perhaps not updated).

My main concerns is Geoffrey Biggs’ comment below.  Tuning should be a dirty word in software.  I know it’s needed, but successful software just works.  Ease of use should always be our focus.  It is this single issue that has been the nail in the coffin of every middleware I have used.  Whatever we choose, it should be easy to use or we should make it so.

The parameter tuning is important if the defaults don't do what you need, but it is nothing new to anyone who's had to tune network performance, especially in a wifi environment. Specifying QoS parameters in an XML file is standardised now, so all implementations do or shortly will support it. This is extremely useful; you can save different profiles for different links and load them dynamically depending on what sort of deployment you do.