[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Ingo Lütkebohle iluetkeb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 13:43:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Edwards, Shaun M. <sedwards at swri.org> wrote:
> My main concerns is Geoffrey Biggs' comment below.  Tuning should be a dirty
> word in software.  I know it's needed, but successful software just works.
> Ease of use should always be our focus.  It is this single issue that has
> been the nail in the coffin of every middleware I have used.

I agree on that.

One could reasonably argue that the attempt to solve the communication
problem in a relatively application-independent manner is doomed, and
that application-specific protocols are the way to go. Some people may
dismiss that as unrealistic, but I would argue that
application-specific protocols are the IETF approach, and that it has
been fairly successful, so far.

That said, there is a question of what the basis for such developments
should be, or, in other words, whether the protocols in the DDS family
are a better foundation for robotics applications than base-level
TCP/IP.

I guess answers to that question will be influenced significantly by
whether you're coming from an enterprise environment, or from an open
systems environment.

cheers

--
Ingo Lütkebohle, Dr.-Ing.
Machine Learning and Robotics Lab, IPVS, Universität Stuttgart

PGP Fingerprint 3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B