[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Daniele Calisi daniele.calisi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 14:12:31 UTC 2014

I agree with both Ryan, Shaun and Ingo: application-specific protocols (ROS
or DDS or whatever needed) and, moreover, EASE OF USE.
Whatever things we are going to implement, should be reasonably working
out-of-the-box, tweaking/hacking/configuring should be an option only for
production phase or very big applications.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Ryan Gariepy <
rgariepy at clearpathrobotics.com> wrote:

> Ease of use is *critical*. We're already receiving regular feedback
> that the usability of ROS is getting worse with each distribution.
>
> -Ryan
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Ingo Lütkebohle <iluetkeb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Edwards, Shaun M. <sedwards at swri.org>
> wrote:
> >> My main concerns is Geoffrey Biggs' comment below.  Tuning should be a
> dirty
> >> word in software.  I know it's needed, but successful software just
> works.
> >> Ease of use should always be our focus.  It is this single issue that
> has
> >> been the nail in the coffin of every middleware I have used.
> >
> > I agree on that.
> >
> > One could reasonably argue that the attempt to solve the communication
> > problem in a relatively application-independent manner is doomed, and
> > that application-specific protocols are the way to go. Some people may
> > dismiss that as unrealistic, but I would argue that
> > application-specific protocols are the IETF approach, and that it has
> > been fairly successful, so far.
> >
> > That said, there is a question of what the basis for such developments
> > should be, or, in other words, whether the protocols in the DDS family
> > are a better foundation for robotics applications than base-level
> > TCP/IP.
> >
> > I guess answers to that question will be influenced significantly by
> > whether you're coming from an enterprise environment, or from an open
> > systems environment.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > --
> > Ingo Lütkebohle, Dr.-Ing.
> > Machine Learning and Robotics Lab, IPVS, Universität Stuttgart
> >
> http://www.ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de/abteilungen/mlr/abteilung/mitarbeiter/Ingo.Luetkebohle
> > +49-711-685-88350
> >
> > PGP Fingerprint 3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B

Daniele "MadMage" Calisi
*"Your limit is always a bit beyond"*