[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Moritz Tenorth tenorth at cs.uni-bremen.de
Fri Feb 14 15:02:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

related to this and following up on Georg's questions: I'd ask to keep
in mind that, although many professional users join, large parts of the
ROS community are students and PhD students that do not primarily
develop products, but use ROS as simple-to-use tool for their research
work and that have limited time for software maintenance.

If large changes are required, it may be that the only option is to drop
maintenance of working and useful code. For example, my knowrob
knowledge base had been released since the early days of
cturtle/diamondback, but is not released in hydro any more since I don't
have time for catkinizing it. It does compile and work, is maintained
and is being used by other people, but there is no time for catkinizing
the project (written in Prolog and Java using rosjava_jni) and for us,
there is no killer feature that would enforce the switch.

For new users (e.g. when using ROS for teaching), the buildsystem switch
made things much more complex since they have to set up mixed workspaces
and understand the relation between both build systems e.g. to debug
dependency problems.

So if a majority would like to switch to DDS, much care should be given
to keeping ROS's ease of use and platform- and language-independence
that from my point of view have been have key success factors. And
please don't forget that every client library has to be updated if the
transport mechanism is changed.

best,
Moritz

Dr. Moritz Tenorth     | tenorth at cs.uni-bremen.de
Universität Bremen     | Am Fallturm 1
29359 Bremen           | Germany
Tel: +49 421 218-64016 | ai.uni-bremen.de/team/moritz_tenorth