[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Sat Feb 15 12:35:26 UTC 2014

> Also, having a low-footprint solution for embedded system communication
> would be really nice.  There still doesn't seem to be a commonly accepted
> standard for this: rosc is in alpha, simple_message is still in
> development, apparently people are already using DDS...

I know the long term solution is for the embedded components to speak the
"real" TCP protocol, but Clearpath has invested in rosserial-- we developed
and released last year a high performance C++ implementation of the ROS-side
server node <http://wiki.ros.org/rosserial_server>, which supports both
serial and socket connections. Right now we just use it for the basics of
topic pub/sub and serialization, but the intent is to provide reasonable
support for services, parameters, and logging; that support will be in
place sometime in the next six months, as we need it for an upcoming new
product.

M.