[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Christian Schlegel schlegel at hs-ulm.de
Sat Feb 15 14:40:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

really interesting to me that ease of use, user experience, make it
simple for robotics people is seen (partly) in conflict with using more
advanced middleware systems.

"separation of concerns" exactly allows to hide compexity because
robotics people should not be bothered with middleware complexity. That
does not mean that you can only have simple middleware systems beneath
the presentation to the robotics user. It also does not mean that you
have to think about QoS all the time. If you do not give any parameters
with respect to QoS, you just experience a best effort behavior. If you
prefer to have all components on a single microcontroller (no need for
networking), you can even have your communication patterns mapped onto
something with very small footprint.

What is the approach of "communication patterns"?

  * look here for a short explanation:
    http://www.servicerobotik-ulm.de/drupal/?q=node/39
  * look then at "send", "query", "push newest", "push timed", "event",
    "wiring", "state"

The example of the "query pattern":
Figure: Query Pattern

The "client" shows what you see as a robotics expert at the client side
of a service that is composed out of a "query client". You can invoke a
query either synchronously or asynchronously by just calling these methods.

The "server" shows what you see as a robotics expert at the server side
of a service that is composed out of a "query server". Each incoming
query is forwarded to a handler, you can do any processing, even forward
it to a processing pipeline, since the answer is finally provided by
calling "answer".

That is all. The messages / the protocol behind that interaction
("system") is not visible to you. That protocol is exactly what is
mapped onto whatever middleware system. This abstraction does not polute
your robotics user view with any kind of middleware specifics. Thus, the
very same semantics, the very same interfaces to these patterns are
maintained whatever mapping you prefer.

Of course, you can come up with ideas of mapping that hidden protocol
onto DDS, onto CORBA, onto sockets or even onto global variables /
shared memory.  You can even think about interoperability of the
messages used within the protocol between different middleware systems.
Again, no effect at the user interface visible to robotics experts.

Of course, I should say more about the marshalling (also hidden and
transparent) but please have a look at SmartSoft Communication Patterns,
they are in operation on various robots, on different platforms, on
different middleware systems. Supporting them by a MDSD approach even
makes it much easier to use them:

http://youtu.be/04SqzrS6Udw

Of course, the above user interfaces do not yet comprise QoS attributes
but that is work in progress. How to map the QoS attributes onto DDS
configurations is done by framework experts and NOT by the robotics
user. This is the same as a robotics user should not play around with
socket properties, buffer capacities etc. (polute his code or his
deployment and modify the semantics of the communication patterns)

Christian

--
Prof. Dr. Christian Schlegel
Prodekan, Studiendekan Master IS