[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Mon Feb 24 09:16:57 UTC 2014

On 24 February 2014 17:29, Ingo Lütkebohle <iluetkeb at gmail.com> wrote:

> The DDS Security Proposal put forward by RTI (judging from the
> presentation Geoff linked) looks okay, at first blush, though obviously a
> lot depends on the details. I recommend everybody interested in this topic
> to look at the beginning of the presentation, because it introduces the
> various aspects of security quite nicely (in particular,
> encryption!=security!)
>
> One thing I'm uncertain about, from the presentation, is whether inside
> attacks are prevented. It looks as if not (see slide 16), because of
> performance concerns. That seems a reasonable trade-off to make for the
> kind of systems we're looking at here, but it should be kept in mind. It
> would be nice if this were something that would be configurable on a
> per-topic basis -- I can't tell if that's the case.
>
> Is there information on which other vendors, if any, implement this
> proposal?

The RTI presentation is not so much a proposal as a "we've done this;
perhaps we should think about making it standard?" RTI was not required to
and did not provide any further implementation details than was in that
presentation. Other vendors probably have their own security systems, if at
all.

Geoff