[ros-users] confirmation on Primesense

Austin Hendrix legotown at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 17:34:49 UTC 2014

The current version of OpenNI is released under an Apache license. This means that as long as you have a copy of the source code, you should be legally allowed to use it. As far as I’m aware, they cannot rescind the license on released versions of the source. ( I am not a lawyer. If you need a legal guarantee, I would check with your company lawyer. )

The OpenNI group is still free to delete their github account and take their copy of the source code offline; they’re not obligated to continue hosting it.

The ROS deb repository hosts a copy of the OpenNI source and compiled binaries. Since these are hosted by OSRF I would expect them to continue to exist for the foreseeable future.

The bottom line is that if you’re relying on OpenNI, you should grab a copy of the source code for archival purposes.

-Austin