[ros-users] MoveIt! and Indigo

Sachin Chitta robot.moveit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 23:33:22 UTC 2014

Dear MoveIt! and ROS users,

I wanted to give you information about how MoveIt! will be dealing with the
new ROS distro Indigo.

Based on feedback from the MoveIt! survey conducted last year and prior
experience from the PR2, we know that most robots seem to lag the most
recent ROS release by a significant time period (a year or more sometimes).
We would like to encourage MoveIt! adoption on more and more robots and
also give people time to catch up but still be able to use the newest
features in MoveIt! with their robot. We have used this information to
formulate our strategy around ROS Indigo (at least in the near-term).

We will *not* branch and develop separately for Indigo. The version of
MoveIt! in Indigo will be a near copy of that in Hydro. New features,
bug-fixes, etc. will continue to go into Hydro - there are almost always
ways to do this without having to break API and we will try to maintain API
stability. Everything new that is being released into Hydro will also be
ported into Indigo releases. This will allow both users working with the
latest distributions and users working with older distributions to keep
using MoveIt!.

Let me know if there are any questions/comments about this.

Best Regards,
Sachin

Sachin Chitta
Associate Director