[ros-users] Answers.ros.org Spam

Marti Morta mmorta at iri.upc.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:11:37 UTC 2014

On 03/07/14 12:33, Martin Peris wrote:
> Dudes,
>
> I must have deleted near 100 spam questions just in the last hour in
> answers.ros.org <http://answers.ros.org>
I've created this recipe in IFTTT so I get a notification in my phone
for each new post, this has been useful with the last banned user
because all notifications came in once.
https://ifttt.com/recipes/187228-ros-answers-new-post-notification

> Right now there is 4 different accounts pouring spam at a rate higher
> than what I can delete... how about restricting to 1 question per day
> to users with karma < 10 ?
+1

> [...]
> but since a human moderator can identify an obvious spam message only
> by the title... how about adding a "flag" and "delete" button (only
> for moderators and people with high enough karma) directly besides the
> title of each question on the main question list? This might save us a
> lot of time.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin.

> <iisaito at opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp
> <mailto:iisaito at opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp>>:
>
>     For Gmail users who still like to receive email notifications from
>     answers.ros.org <http://answers.ros.org> but want to avoid those
>     from spammers, I've been
>     making a blacklist.
>     https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P4eRVCbkJoNxh36HCO-5HfvLikaSzYmX7U5rz7nRCb0/edit
>
>     Not perfect but HTH,
>     Isaac
>
>     On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Tully Foote
>     <tfoote at osrfoundation.org <mailto:tfoote at osrfoundation.org>> wrote:
>     > Hi Everyone,
>     >
>     > As many of you have noticed answers.ros.org
>     <http://answers.ros.org> has been subject to a lot of
>     > spam recently. We have been working on adding technical issues,
>     however the
>     > spammers have been able to overcome standard defenses like
>     CAPTCHAs which we
>     > have added. I'm putting out this call to request a few more
>     moderators for
>     > the site. Answers.ros.org <http://Answers.ros.org> is powered by
>     the community and has been well
>     > maintained by the several moderators who were initially
>     volunteered several
>     > years ago.
>     >
>     > In light of the persistent spamming by technically savvy
>     spammers, our best
>     > defense is to leverage our strong community. We have a very
>     active site and
>     > if each person helps just a little the spam can dissapear very
>     quickly.
>     >
>     > To everyone, please use the "flag offensive" for any spam you
>     encounter,
>     > whether it's in a question or an answer. This will bring it to
>     the attention
>     > of the moderators who can block users. If you have enough karma
>     you can also
>     > delete the post, however please flag it first so that the
>     moderators can
>     > block the user as well.
>     >
>     > We've recently expanded the pool of moderators however I'd like
>     to expand
>     > the pool of moderators to include a few more people from various
>     timezones
>     > who have demonstrated contributions to the site(>500 Karma). If
>     you are
>     > interested in becoming a moderator please contact me off list.

Martí Morta Garriga
Robotics Engineer
Institut de Robòtica i Informàtica Industrial, CSIC/UPC