[ros-users] Web introspection tools

Jenkins, Odest Chadwicke cjenkins at cs.brown.edu
Mon Jun 30 21:22:15 UTC 2014

I believe the web introspection thread highlights the tradeoffs of
usability and interoperability with performance and efficiency, as
discussed previously wrt usability:

  http://lists.ros.org/pipermail/ros-users/2014-February/068247.html

William, you are correct about native apps if the use case is restricted to
a root-access machines running a specific OS an a LAN, connecting to a LAN
over VPN, or similar specifically-optimized configuration.  Recent history
shows that such system and network optimizations in ROS have come at a cost
in terms of ease of use, modification, build, and deployment.

Using customized messaging over a non-HTTP transport will surely yield
significant performance benefits.  However, this will come at the cost on
the front-end with respect to usability, accessibility beyond a LAN, and
interoperability across different development frameworks, etc.  While I
agree JavaScript and HTML5 has a lot of great frameworks coming up, it is
important to acknowledge the ways such frameworks restrict extensibility
and interoperability, especially the potential for breaking code built on
these frameworks over time.

I believe William's message acknowledges this tradeoff.  It is just good to
clarify the relative strengths and weaknesses of different design choices
with a broader range of use cases in mind.
___
Chad