[ros-users] Tutorial on ROS Testing

Jonathan Bohren jonathan.bohren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 19:35:22 UTC 2014

I was definitely just thinking about writing something like this. Thanks
for putting it together! Can you post it on the ROS wiki under development
/ contributing (http://wiki.ros.org/Get%20Involved)?

It's pretty reasonable for ROS package maintainers to not want to merge a
contribution until it's paired with a unit test, so it's really important
that anyone who wants to give back to the community is aware of these sort
of tools and design patterns.

As another (very recent) real-world example, see here for a feature
contribution to roslaunch which required adding a unit test before getting
merged into ros_comm: https://github.com/ros/ros_comm/pull/379

-j

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Víctor González <victor.gonzalez at uc3m.es>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm glad you liked it!
> I pretend to add some info regarding Google Mock in the next iteration of
> it, but please, feel free to add the improvements you consider.
>
> Cheers,
> Victor
>

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Marti Morta <mmorta at iri.upc.edu> wrote:
>
>>  Gracias Victor,
>>
>> we are going to deliver a seminar soon about TDD, this is going to be
>> very helpful!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Martí
>>

>> On 14/03/14 12:17, Víctor González wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  I have written a tutorial on Test Driven Development (TDD) in ROS that
>> I would like to share with you. The tutorial was addressed to the needs of
>> my lab colleagues, so some parts are in rosbuild (we are still migrating to
>> catkin). However, there are other parts that can be helpful to anyone who
>> is starting to write their own tests.
>>
>>  Slides:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eraurS9rlMXyN0kbQMJdCyWOxRC5JTBV7FskyMaYNpM/present
>>
>>  Code examples:
>> https://github.com/VGonPa/ros-testing-seminar
>>
>>  I hope you find it useful!
>>
>>  Best regards,
>>
>>  Victor Gonzalez-Pacheco
>> PhD Student.
>> RoboticsLab
>> Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
>> Leganés, Madrid
>> Spain

>> --
>> Martí Morta Garriga
>> Robotics Engineer
>> Institut de Robòtica i Informàtica Industrial, CSIC/UPC

Jonathan Bohren
Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics
http://dscl.lcsr.jhu.edu/People/JonathanBohren