[ros-users] Announcing nav2d packages

Federico Ferri ferri at dis.uniroma1.it
Mon Mar 31 12:43:38 UTC 2014

On 23 Mar 2014 at 19:16:16, Sebastian Kasperski (sebastian.kasperski at dfki.de) wrote:
Hello ROS users,

I would like to share a set of ROS packages that provide nodes for autonomous exploration and map building for mobile robots moving in planar environments. More information and some help can be found in the ROS-Wiki:
http://wiki.ros.org/nav2d

The source is available via Github:
https://github.com/skasperski/navigation_2d

It contains ROS nodes for obstacle avoidance, basic path planning and graph based multi-robot mapping using the OpenKarto library. Autonomous exploration is done via plugins that implement different cooperation strategies. Additional strategies should be possible to implement with only little overhead.

These nodes have been used on a team of Pioneer robots, but other platforms should also do. A set of ROS launch files is included to test the nodes in a simulation with Stage. Please feel free to try it and post issues on Github.

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

I tried the tutorials, and everything works beautifully.

However on my real robot, I get a weird transformation between /map and /offset, which results in the robot base frame being upside down wrt. the map. (in RVIZ I see the robot on the other side of the 2d map).

I’m trying to trace down the issue. Meanwhile, do you have any information about this? I can send my launch/yaml configs (which is basically a fork of nav2d_tutorials).

Best,
Federico Ferri