[ros-users] Testing rviz

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Mon May 5 04:31:28 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

There are new versions of rviz in Groovy (1.9.36), Hydro (1.10.15), and
Indigo (1.11.1), but we need some help with testing.

rviz is complex, so even though we have been careful to only release fixes
in the new versions which should not break things, it is hard to be sure
until we get it out there and people use it. Therefore, before we make
these versions of rviz the default in the public debian repositories, I
would like to give the community an opportunity test these new versions.

You can help us out by testing these new versions of rviz and you can do so
by building the latest versions of rviz from source:

$ mkdir ~/rviz_ws
$ cd ~/rviz_ws
$ rosinstall_generator rviz --rosdistro hydro --tar > rviz.rosinstall
$ source /opt/ros/hydro/setup.bash
$ catkin_make install
$ source ./install/setup.bash
$ rosrun rviz rviz

Obviously, if you are using groovy or indigo, please replace the use of
hydro with the appropriate alternative.

We will wait a short period of time before making these versions public, so
please test this is as soon as you can and report any issues you
encountered on the rviz issue tracker:

https://github.com/ros-visualization/rviz/issues

If you are interested in the changes which each version of rviz, please see
the changelog's for each:

http://docs.ros.org/groovy/changelogs/rviz/changelog.html
http://docs.ros.org/hydro/changelogs/rviz/changelog.html
http://docs.ros.org/indigo/changelogs/rviz/changelog.html