[ros-users] ROS on windows or in virtualbox?

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
Tue Nov 11 05:24:53 UTC 2014

On 11 November 2014 10:01, Chris Jones <chris.jones at overthrowrobotics.com>
wrote:

> Since the Primesense Carmine 1.09 close range camera was pulled from the
> market I've been trying to figure out a replacement for my boxing robot.
>
> I need skeleton tracking and close range. Standard Kinect/Asus doesn't
> quite work up close but the 1.09 camera did.

Have you considered Softkinetic's sensors and middleware? They have a
short-range sensor (same hardware as the Creative Senz3D,
http://www.softkinetic.com/Store/tabid/579/ProductID/6/language/en-US/Default.aspx)
and software to do skeleton tracking (
http://www.softkinetic.com/products/iisumiddleware.aspx).

Cheers,
Marcus

> I got the Structure.io camera to work with NITE 2 for skeleton tracking
> but it also doesn't work as well up close as I hoped.
>
> There's no skeleton tracking for the Creative Labs Senz3D yet so that's
> out. I've looked at some other lesser known RGB-D cameras and they didn't
> have linux support yet.
>
> So I'm left with a single option. The Kinect for Windows 2 camera. The
> camera is amazing and the SDK blows away what could be done with NITE.
> But... it's Windows 8 only. The open source KFW drivers are just not there
> yet. No skeleton support, etc.
>
> The options I see are:
>
> a) Run ROS entirely under Windows 8 though there doesn't seem to be very
> good support.
> b) Run Ubuntu/Hydro in Virtualbox and send messages (Kinect quaternions)
> through the virtualbox api and turn that into a ROS message.
> c) Run ROS in Windows as a slave node to a master ROS node running in
> Ubuntu.
>
> If I just want to run ROS Hydro in Windows for sending some Kinect
> quaternion/TF frames over the network to Ubuntu/Hydro for the rosqt, etc
> heavy lifting is that possible?
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Chris Jones