[ros-users] Adding a global path planner as plugin in ROS (updated)

Anis Koubaa (COINS) akoubaa at coins-lab.org
Wed Nov 12 14:15:27 UTC 2014

We have updated the tutorial on adding a global path planner as plugin in
ROS. We have added testing using RVIZ.
The general tutorial is available on ROS Wiki site in this link
<http://wiki.ros.org/navigation/Tutorials/Writing%20A%20Global%20Path%20Plan
ner%20As%20Plugin%20in%20ROS>

A more specific tutorial that shows how to add a real genetic algorithm
planner is presented in this tutorial page
<http://www.iroboapp.org/index.php?title=Adding_Genetic_Algorithm_Global_Pat
h_Planner_As_Plugin_in_ROS> .

It is possible to work with other path planning algorithms. We implemented
the iPath C++ library <https://code.google.com/p/ipath/>  that provides the
implementation of several path planners including A*, GA, local search and
some relaxed version of A* and Dijkstra (much faster that A* and Dijkstra).
More will be added soon on Google Code.

The iPath library <https://code.google.com/p/ipath/>  is available as open
source on Google Code under the GNU GPL v3 license. The library was
extensively tested under different maps including those provided in this
benchmark <http://www.movingai.com/benchmarks/>  and other randomly
generated maps <http://www.iroboapp.org/index.php?title=Maps> .
A tutorial on how to use iPath simulator is available on this link
<https://code.google.com/p/ipath/> .

Credits particularly go to Maram Al-Ajlan (Master Student at Al-Imam Mohamed
bin Saud University, Saudi Arabia) and Imen Chaari (PhD student at Manouba
University Tunisia) for their efforts in implementing the algorithms and
integration to ROS.

If you have any suggestions or questions about tools or tutorials, please
contact me.

Anis

Anis Koubaa
Associate Professor, Prince Sultan University, Saudi Arabia
Research Associate, CISTER Research Unit, Portugal
http://www.coins-lab.org
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~akoubaa/